For those who follow the lunar cycle, it can be powerful to follow a lunar calendar as well. Although we typically still celebrate holidays on their mainstream dates, such as New Year’s Eve on December 31, a great way to connect even more with the moon is to celebrate the lunar dates of certain holidays. The lunar New Year’s Eve is the new moon closest to December 31. This year, January 1 happens to be a full moon, so the December and January new moons are actually equidistant from that date, meaning either new moon could be celebrated as the lunar New Year’s.
New year’s resolutions tend to get a bad rep, as many of us have trouble following through with them beyond the first few weeks of the year. If you are determined to make some fresh starts in 2018, however, here are a few resolution ideas just for modern witches:
- Record your dreams every morning when you wake up. (For me, this resolution includes getting up early enough to do so!)
- Unplug more often and for longer periods of time, especially during rituals and on sabbats.
- Listen to more music during your rituals, so that every time you hear those notes, it puts you in the mindset for magick.
- Schedule time for your physical practice, whether it be hiking, yoga, etc.
- Finally read that witchy book you keep meaning to get around to.
- Spend more time outside, connecting with nature.
- Meditate on which areas of your life or your spiritual practice need your attention.
- Learn about a new type of magick or spiritual tradition.
- Create a vision board for what you want 2018 to look like.
- If you are comfortable and safe doing so, share your spiritual and magickal practice whenever and however you can. Let’s bring a little more witchcraft into the world this year!