Today I’m sharing with you guys what I consider to be the most important tools and supplies for your magickal practice. Now, this is one of those subjects that is entirely subjective but here’s my top 8!
- Your Mind
- Your mindset is definitely the most important thing you have in your arsenal and also the one thing that can most easily disrupt your spells and rituals. If you’re having a bad day or have a bad attitude about something, it can change your spell or intention setting in ways you didn’t expect. On the other hand, if you can channel great love or anger, it could boost your spells.
- At least one book of magickal correspondences
- Most witches have lots of books of correspondences but if you have at least one you really like, you’re golden. This is important because colors, crystals and especially plants have certain energies associated with them and you want to be sure you’re using appropriate tools in your spells and rituals. A few good options are The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients by Scott Cunningham and The Hearth Witch’s Compendium by Anna Franklin.
- White candles, preferably of varying sizes and shapes
- This is a big one as white candles can stand in as a substitute for any other color of candle. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for everyone. If you can’t have full size pillar or taper candles where you live, try just using tealights, which are self-contained. Or, if you can’t have candles at all, flameless candles are a great alternative. One way or another though, you’re going to want to have some kind of white candle on hand.
- Muslin and/or gossamer sachet bags
- These are easily acquired at the craft store and are great for all sorts of spells, charm bags, storing herbs or crystals or keeping a few items portable for traveling.
- Moon phases app
- Yes, a smartphone app! I think it’s absolutely essential to have an app you can refer to to quickly determine the moon phase, sign, when a certain phase goes direct, etc.
- Tool for purification
- Depending on your practice this might be a besom (magickal broom), smudge sticks or a favorite room spray. Whatever you use to cleanse, it’s good to purify your space before any spell or ritual.
- Tool for divination
- Most witches practice some form of divination so you’ll want to have on hand the tools for at least your favorite type. This might be tarot or oracle cards, pendulums or runes. Don’t feel like you need to practice every kind of divination or have the tools for every kind, just whatever speaks to you.
- Favorite ritual music
- This might sound kind of funny but I think it’s pretty important for a witch to have a favorite Pandora station! Okay, maybe not necessarily a Pandora station, but it is really helpful to have certain music that you listen to in order to get you in the mood and mindset for ritual. My favorite Pandora stations for rituals are the “Yoga” station and one based on Bear McCreary’s Outlander theme song, for the record…
What magickal tools are essential in your practice?