I’m going to confess something really gross: I am terrible about cleaning my yoga mat. For a while I was trying to remember to wipe it down after each practice but got out of the habit, and so for the last year or so, I’ve just been dunking it in the occasional white vinegar bath and hanging it up to dry for two days. Seriously, gross.
Which is why I’m so excited about this new yoga mat spray! I really wanted something that was not vinegar based, more complex and layered than just essential oils and more genuinely disinfecting than a lot of the recipes I had seen. A tall order, apparently.
Then I found this wonderful recipe on Mountain Rose Herbs (one of my favorite spell and tea ingredient suppliers.) After adapting a few ingredients and brewing it up in a lovely glass spray bottle, I couldn’t be happier. All of the ingredients I chose are purifying and soothing in nature.
DIY Purifying Yoga Mat Spray Recipe
- 4-6 oz organic witch hazel
- 1/2 – 1 cup dried sage
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 12 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- Place the dried sage in a glass jar and pour the witch hazel over it. Seal the jar and allow to sit in a cool, dark place for 3 days.
- Strain the sage out of the infused witch hazel. A mesh strainer might work but to really get all of the little bits out, I placed an empty tea bag over the spout of a funnel, which worked perfectly.
- Pour the strained witch hazel into a glass spray bottle.
- Drip in the essential oils (you may want more or less lavender, depending on personal preference.)
- As a little added bonus, allow the finished spray to charge under a new or full moon.
- Spray on your mat before and after each practice to disinfect and purify.