We all have trouble finding inspiration sometimes, especially when it comes to developing and working with our grimoires. I’ve written many posts on how to develop your grimoire in my Complete Guide to Grimoires series and Grimoire Page Template series, but I’ve never really talked much about working with your grimoire on a day to day basis.
That’s why I’ve decided to start a Grimoire Prompts series as well, to help spark your inspiration and get you working with your book of magick regularly! Some of these will be journaling prompts, to inspire meditations and deep personal reflection, while others will be designed to get you thinking about sections to add to your grimoire, laying out pages, etc.
For this first post in the series, I’m going to focus on the theme of autumn – the witch’s season!
- Work with the fall astrological signs of Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius and record information you find about the energies of these signs in your grimoire.
- Journaling prompt: What in your life is coming to an end? How do you feel about that?
- Profile herbs associated with Samhain, such as Rosemary, Mugwort and Yarrow.
- Design a tarot spread for fall or Samhain and record it in your grimoire for future use. Themes for your spread could include letting go of something or connecting with your ancestors/ancestral knowledge.
- Autumn is associated with the crone aspect of the Triple Goddess. Research the crone and goddesses associated with her and record what resonates with you in your grimoire.
- Record the steps you take in your Samhain and Blood Moon rituals. It can be very helpful and enlightening in the future to be able to refer back and see what you did and how you felt at the time.
- Research traditional witchcraft in your ancestral culture. Are there any particular spells or practices that you can incorporate into your own magick? Record them in your grimoire.
- Journaling prompt: How does the crone goddess present herself in your own life? Is there someone that you think represents her? How do you relate to her wise and often misunderstood energy personally?
- Have a favorite fall recipe? Look up the magickal associations of the main ingredients and record the recipe in your grimoire.
- Sketch a plan for your fall garden, along with how you are physically and spiritually clearing out the garden from summer. Note what the magickal associations of your new fall plants are.
- Profile crystals associated with Samhain, such as Bloodstone, Obsidian and Black Tourmaline.
- Journaling prompt: Fall and Samhain are sometimes associated with inner darkness and understanding that side of ourselves. How do you deal with dark thoughts when they occur? How can you better harness that darkness and turn it into something productive and useful?
- Carved pumpkins or jack-o-lanterns are a traditional form of protective magick. Sketch out your ideas and final plans for your jack-o-lantern this year in your grimoire! Incorporate protective sigils or pentagrams into the design for an extra magickal boost.